Sunday, May 15, 2011

Graduation Card by Vicki

Spring is here, and that means graduation time!! I have a family member graduating college, from a local regional university, and I know she loves homemade things. I made this card using her school's colors.


I started with a kraft base, half a sheet of 8.5 x 11 inch paper, folded in half with my Scor Pal. Using my Gypsy, I set up and enlarged the mortar board, tassle and sentiment. The black mortar board, and accompanying gold tassle were made using the Everyday Paper Dolls cartridge. The sentiment is from Wild Card. I adjusted the sizing of both of these to fit perfectly on the front of my 4.25 x 5.5 inch space.

Next, I cut a piece of golden yellow card stock to perfectly in the embossing folder Cuttlebug Emboss A2 Border Frills.  I ran this through my Cuddlebug using a standard sandwich. I fired up my iRock tool, and selected a combination of colors that would coordinate well with my design, but still stand out. I picked copper and gold, but I could have easily selected colors from the new iRock glitter Hot Rocks Compact.

Following the directions on the iRock, I adhered one jewel per flower center. As a note, be careful when using this tool, as it is very easy to OVER melt the glue at the bottom of the gem, and that makes your gems an ugly mess that can't be undone!

As I dry fit all my items, the yellow gold I had picked for the floral border was too bright for the rest of the items. So, I pulled out my Ranger Distress Ink in Black Soot and lightly swept the inkpad all over the top of the embossing.

I adhered all the larger pieces to the card using my Glue Glider Pro, and the sentiment's thin letters with the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen.

I am awful at signing my work, so I purchased a stamp set by Image Tree called Handmade that I stamp on the back of my cards, to remind me to put my name on my work.

Graduation cards don't have to be complicated to be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails