Monday, August 1, 2011

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas & What Is CHA? by Kim B

Before I post a project, I wanted to talk a bit about CHA.  There are people out there that have no idea what CHA is, what it means, or what is going on with it.  CHA stands for the Craft & Hobby Association.  Stores and other crafty associated people pay annual dues to join the association, much like you would do if you belong to a Home Owners Association.  Although the association is involved in many things, CHA is most widely known for their big craft shows held in January and July.  This is where vendors like Ranger, Echo Park, Craftwell, etc... show store owners, design team members, professional crafters, bloggers, press, etc..... the newest products that they have been developing and show us what they look like, how they work, and let us all "play" a little bit with their newest items.  The energy and enthusiasm is high and walking the show floor is not for the feint of heart.  Although I think at some point your feet just go numb from all the walking around and the excitement of seeing what's new in the next booth just propels you forward!  The vendors have wonderful displays of all their new products and awesome completed projects done so we can see what can be done with their items.  It is fun to put faces to names and there are so many people to meet.  It is a lot of fun picking out new products for your store and getting little gifts from vendors, so you can actually take items home with you and play with them.  I know I have personally written some products off, only to find that when I return home and play that it becomes a "must have" for my store, Cutters Creek

I think my most favorite part of CHA is the workshops!  Not all of the vendors do this, however getting into a 2 hour workshop and actually creating a project with their products is a big selling point for me.  I have had experiences where I threw away my creation as I was just not pleased, to wanting to recreate what I have done over and over.  This go round, I was excited to try out the Tombow calligraphy pens and learn how to master them.  What I found out was that between me being left handed and the language barrier (I believe they were from Japan) that there was no way this chicky poo was going to learn quickly.  I did attempt to "mirror" what they were showing me and they did give me individual help but alas there is no way I can teach this technique as I would have to practice for days and days to "get it", however I had a blast!  I really learned a lot and I am always looking for new techniques to use in my crafting.  There is also the tried and true workshops.  I take the Flower Soft workshop every single time.  I know how to use the product, however they always put out the new products for us to use and see and as I evolve with Flower Soft, so does my use of Flower Soft.  Workshops get you thinking outside of the box, when you are familiar with the product already.  I think it was my second workshop with Flower Soft that using the peel offs gave me one of those light bulb moments.  Now I just love them and think they make even the beginner crafter look so elegant in their creation.  And!  You get so many for a couple of dollars and can use them on ANY card or scrapbook page, just not Flower Soft creations.

So here is my Flower Soft workshop creation at CHA.  It got a little smashed in my suitcase, however it was so fun to make!  I used three different styles of peel offs in this creation and there is Flower Soft Polar White in the globe to make it a snow globe that you can shake.


2 comments:

  1. WOW! I love that snowglobe on a card!!!!! How cool would that be for the recipient to get & a beautiful card too. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed your explanation of CHA & all the fun you experienced making new things & buying cool stuff for the store. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails