Monday, February 13, 2012

Rockin' Birthday Card with Lori

I have a special birthday card I want to share with you today.  My big brother turned 55 earlier this month, and you might not think we have much in common since he is the oldest and I am the youngest.  But he was my first "bad influence", introducing me to Godzilla movies and Saturday Night Live, The Beatles and Pink Floyd, and Star Trek and Isaac Asimov.  (Come to think of it, I think I can blame him for my lack of popularity in high school, and my extreme popularity in college, lol.)  And thanks to his guitar-learning efforts, I never want to hear the song "Smoke on the Water" again.  But I wanted to let him know that even though he's now eligible for a senior discount a lot of places, he's still a pretty cool guy.


The pattern papers are both from Echo Park Paper - the polka dots are from A Boy's Life and the navy stripes are from the Dots & Stripes Metropolitan collection.  The center panel is kraft cardstock, stamped with the guitar image, embossed with an embossing folder, then inked with Distress Inks.  I stamped a second guitar image, cut out the guitar only and adhered it using dimensional adhesive.  Everything is layered on a kraft card base.  Finally, I used my old school Dymo label maker to create the sentiment and adhered it on top.

I love the look of the Distress Inks on the kraft cardstock.  I thought I would show you the difference in the same colors on white cardstock versus kraft.

I used Faded Jeans, Peeled Paint, and Ripe Persimmon (from the Fall seasonal set) on both sheets.  you can see that the darker tone of the kraft brings out the darker tones of the distress inks, where the white seems to brighten them up a bit.  Experiment with your favorite cardstock colors as a base and see what happens!

Products available at Cutters Creek:
Thanks for stopping by today! If you want to keep up on all of the happenings at Cutters Creek, be sure to subscribe to our blog and/or sign up for the store newsletter (on the right).

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails