Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easter Calla Lily Card by Chris

I saw these lilies on two different blogs and decided to mix and match the directions to make my own. I sketched three hearts—two small and one large and cut them out of grungepaper. (Check with Kim; she got me my pack. J) I painted them with a metallic pearl white acrylic paint, but I think Snow Cap Adirondack Dabber would have been better; they are a bit silvery instead of white.

Once they dried I used Butterscotch Adirondack Dabber to dry brush the lower-to-center inside of the heart shape and the green Earthtone Adirondack Dabber to dry brush the lower-to-center backside of the hearts. [Note that the pointed end of the hearts will be the bottom of the flower.] 

I set those aside and took my Flower Soft wires, Flower Soft glue, and some Citrus Crush Flower Soft to make the stamens. (Just drizzle some glue all around one end of the wire and sprinkle the flower soft over it. I dry let mine dry by sticking the other end of the wire in an old nail buffer.)

When all was dry, I cut three thin strips of green cardstock and tapered one end to lay inside the lower part of the heart with a drop of quick drying glue to hold it in place. I then cut a Glue Dot in half and stuck it over the cardstock and a bit above the pointy end of the heart, and pushed the wired end of the stamen into it. (Trim off any excess wire that sticks below the heart’s tail.) Then. I began rolling the left side of the lower half of the heart towards the center and the right side towards the center and the edges around the heart towards the back, shaping it to look like a calla lily. (Grungepaper is great for this as it is flexible and takes a lot of punishment.) When I liked how it looked, I put some quick drying glue on the rolled in left side, pinched the right side down onto it and used a clothespin to hold it together ‘til it dried. 

While it the three lilies dried, I made a double loop bow using seam tape that I colored with Scattered Straw Distress Ink and the card base. This card is 5x7, but as I wanted the 7-inch side to be the vertical, I cut two pieces of ivory cardstock. One measured 5x8 inches and the other 5x7 inches. I scored and folded the larger piece at one inch and then, using ScorTape, glued the small piece so the seam was on the inside. To make the border around the card I cut four pieces of yellow-orange cardstock with the border from Spellbinders Shapeabilities Parisian Accents. I laid it out and glued it down with Scor Tape and trimmed off the excess from each side.

I cut the largest of my new Spellbinders Nestabilities Splendid Circles from yellow cardstock and cut a the square shape from  yellow-orange cardstock using the Spellbinders Shapeabilities Parisian Accents. I glued the square into the center of the circle and the circle a bit above the center of my card front. I then used Glue Dots to adhere the lilies to the front and Glue Dots to raise and join the stems and Glue Dots to center my bow over the stems and hold the tails just where I wanted them. To finish the front I added some pearl accents.

To finish off the inside of the card and hide the seam I cut another Parisian Accent border and using Scor Tape covered the seam. The sentiment was a free one I printed with my computer and cut with Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Twenty-Five, which I edged with Rusty Hinge Distress Ink. And not to leave the inside corners out, I cut the two corner pieces from the Parisian Accents set. The card is done and all I need to do now is figure out how to mail it to my mom—LOL.


  1. OH Chris, This is a STUNNING Card! Your mom is going to treasure it always! *Hugs*

  2. Absolutely STUNNING!!!! What a gorgeous card and your flowers are beautiful!!!

  3. Chris...wowzers...this is stunning...I love it....wow wow wow

  4. Wow factor obvious here.....beautiful card !


Related Posts with Thumbnails