Wednesday, June 27, 2012

4th of July Upcycle by Laura C

Planning a 4th of July get-together?
I've got an idea for you....for the 4th,
or for any event, and it's a great way
to use your stash!

This little "favor" tube:

                                     
These are super simple, and even better....
they are a great upcycling opportunity!
I filled it with sparklers, a flag and some
glow sticks....all ready to party on the 4th!

You start with a paper towel tube, and cut
it in half, so you get 2 tubes to use:

Then the fun part is to decorate it any way
you want!  For this I used Candy Apple Red
and Denim Glimmer Mist, punched out plain
stars to use as a mask, and spritzed plain
white cardstock to get this:

I used ScorTape to close the bottom of the
tube and also used it to adhere the trimmed
misted piece of cardstock (I trimmed it to
around 3&1/2" long x 6" wide).

To make the star borders, I used a Cuttlebug
embossing folder (the Measure to Measure
set) and Distress Ink:


I inked up the folder in Stormy Sky before
putting it through the Cuttlebug to get the
blue version, and just ran the plain cardstock
to get the white star strip.  I layered these
pieces over a strip (about 2&1/2") of red
paper.  After that, it was decorating with
items from my stash....the red pompon trim,
the twine and buttons, and a touch of
Kaiserkraft bling too--ScorTape is a great
adhesive to hold everything....glossy accents
would work well too. .

Here is a close up:





With the 4th coming up....this is a great little item
to hand out--or have a cute basket filled up with
them as a little favor for everyone to take home.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you
all have a safe, happy 4th of July!

4 comments:

  1. Laura your project is so darn cute. Not only can you use your idea for the 4th but I can think how cute it would be for Birthday favors, etc. I love how you decorated the tube and all the products you used. And the pom pom trim is just too darn cute. Great project and will save your instructions so I can make them. I'm thinking of my grandson who will be 3 in August and how cute they would be as favors for the kids. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome Laura! now to see if there are any empty tubes in the recycle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute project! I love finding things that I can use to recycle. I love the stars and I've got to try making some of these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails