Thursday, March 1, 2012

Journal of Love by Chris

Chris1

Take a composition book (I was going to say a black and white one, but they come in all sorts of colors these days J) and some Graphic 45 paper, a little bit of time and you will have a gift that looks so elegant and, yet, is so simple to do. I started with The Magic of Oz (8x8) pad and a 9.75x7.5 inch notebook. I cut two pieces of background cardstock at 7.75 x 11 inches and used my ATG to glue it down abutting the black seam. I then folded the excess inside and glued it down. To hide the text and rough edges, a contrasting color was glued. These pieces were about 9.25x6.75 inches. Now all that was left to do was decorate it.

Chris2

On the inside front cover I made a pocket to hold a note explaining the project, Journals of Love. This one is a library card pocket I cut it with Sure Cuts A Lot, and I printed out the message on a book sign-out card. I used Spellbinders Nestabilities Postage Stamps to cut four images from the Graphic 45 paper. Two are adhered on the front cover and two on the back. On the back inside cover is also a pocket made for any loose papers the recipient may want to hold onto. I make them all different sizes, but this one started as a 5.5x7 rectangle. I used my Scor Buddy and on three sides (the two sides and the bottom) scored it three times at a .25, .5, and at 1 inch. On the top length, I cut the pocket at an angle and use a hole-punch to cut out a half circle. I then accordion folded the score lines and used Scor Tape (¼”) to glue it to the cover.

Chris 3

To decorate the front cover I first rubbed all the outside edges with Tim Holtz Aged Mahogany Distress Ink. Then I used a border punch and made two layers. (I can’t wait to get my Edgeabilities!) Next I ripped out several pieces of the Graphic 45 and ran them through my Distrezz-it-All from Zutter. (I know Kim got me mine, and if you don’t have one, she can probably get one for you too.) The sentiment is from Paulette, and was printed with computer and cut out using my Spellbinders Small Deckled Rectangles. I inked the edges of each piece with Tim Holtz Aged Mahogany Distress Ink and layered them on a scrap of black paper from my stash. To finish it off I fussy cut several of the poppies from the back cover of the pad—yes I did say from the cover of the pad—and layered them using clear ASI Kool Tak foam pads. The journal is done and on its way to a dear friend. I hope you consider making some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails