Friday, March 30, 2012

Mandie's "Discover" Card

I've always been fascinated with quilting. I love the look and the texture but... I don't sew. I'm not that patient, and it's harder to "embellish" mistakes on a quilt. I can't just pop a cute flower over it! So, I decided to make a quilt with paper. I was flipping through an outdated AAA Travel Guide and I was looking at all of the beautiful photos and thought, "These would make a beautiful paper quilt!" so I grabbed my trimmer and started cutting.


I took a handful of photos that I liked and cut them into 1/2" strips. Then I started playing. I arranged them so my floral elements were on one side and my mountain/rock elements were on the other. I just loved the little fish so he became my center point. I adhered my strips into a log cabin pattern and thought it needed something more. So I pulled out my Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle Paint. This stuff is AMAZING! You get a beautiful fine crackle and it dries pretty fast if you do a thin coat. After painting it on with the attached to the lid brush and letting it dry I decided to add a little more depth to the cracks so I added a little bit of Walnut Stain Distress Ink.


I wanted my background to have the same organic feel as my photos so I used more Distress Ink in Ripe Persimmon (from the LE Fall collection) and Peeled Paint. Then I splashed some water on it, using some big drops and small ones to get the effect you see. Then I added some corduroy ribbon with some Scor Tape and a few brads and finally added the "Discover" with my label maker. Finally, I used some Foam Adhesive to pop up all my layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails