Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bookend Drawers with Lori

I am sad to announce that this is my last post with Cutters Creek. As my kids have gotten older, it seems like a lot more of my time is spent ferrying them places, and I just don't have the time to commit to Kim's Design Team in addition to my own business.  I will still be around the Yahoo group as time permits, and I hope you'll take the time to come visit me once in a while at my blog as well!

For today's project, I wanted to complete this Kaisercraft bookend that I got a while back.  My intention was to make it for my future expanded craft room to hold up my sketch books, but as soon as my daughter saw the pearl paint going on, she tried to claim it for her room.  We'll see who wins in the end, but I think it's gonna be me this time! 


This bookend is one of the wooden items from Kaisercraft that Kim can special order (just ask her!). I coated it first in a white pearl paint that I had in my paint rack.  Once the paint was dry, I used a Tim Holtz Distress Ink pad in Evergreen Bough to add sheer color to the paint while keeping its shiny look.


The chipboard boxes are easy to assemble using Glossy Accents. I hold them in place while I count to 60 or so in order to prevent them from popping open.  Once dry, I used more Distress Ink, in the Evergreen Bough, Spiced Marmalade, and Vintage Photo along the top edges of every drawer. I then
covered the front and part of the sides in paper using Scor Tape.  My papers are from a 6x6 My Minds Eye paper pad. (This one is not in the store, but you're sure to find one that you like!)  I trimmed them down to 2 3/4" high strips, and trimmed them to fit the "finger hole".  I adhered the papers to the front and about halfway around the sides using the 1/4" width of  Scor Tape.


I distressed the edges of the papers using a sanding tool; a nail file would probably work too.  Lastly,
I decorated the fronts with vintage buttons from my stash and some metal brads from the Graphic 45 "Staples" line. Kim does not carry these in the store, but she may be able to special order them for you.

I hope you enjoyed my final project here! I know I sure enjoyed making it, just like the rest of my projects for Cutters Creek.

4 comments:

  1. Outstanding Lori! I love how you made it your own with all the beautiful paints and papers. And I am sure going to miss you. Take care and keep in touch. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Lori! It is fantastic and I hope you win the battle with your daughter. We will miss you on the design team. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your drawers came out great... love the pearlized paint you used on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! I love things like this. Thanks for showing it off.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails