Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: Custom Stamped Embellishments wihth Lori

Welcome to another installment of Tutorial Tuesday!  This month features stamping, and I thought that this week I would share an unexpected combination of products used to make some cute custom dimensional embellishments.  So, we'll be using stamps (of course) and the new to Cutters Creek iBond cordless glue gun with colored glue sticks!

Have you ever looked at colored glue sticks for glue guns and wondered what on earth you would want to use colored glue for?  Today I have just one splendid little answer for you.  Let's make dimensional embellishments!  But first, I have to say that I LOVE the iBond glue gun - the cordless feature makes it so easy to get things done without wondering how the heck to get that cord out of the way.  In fact, I have several other projects I can already think of that I''ll be using this for this year.

Now, rather than ruin the surprise, I'm going to make you wait until after the tutorial steps to see what I've made.  Just check out these steps:

First, you will need a non-stick surface (the Bazzil splat mat is a good choice) and your iBond loaded with the glue sticks of your choice.  Turn on your iBond and let it rest on the mat.  (Another great feature of the iBond - there's a light at the tip so you ALWAYS know when it's turned on!)

While that's warming up, you will want a few additional items.  Choose a small stamp image, stamping block if acrylic, and ink for your stamp.  You need to ink up your stamp for this process, but most ink will not stay on our stamping surface.  You can just use a clear ink for no color, or Staz On if you want your image colored.  I chose to use a red Staz On for my image, just so it would show up better in the photos.

First step: coil a circle of hot glue slightly larger than your stamp image, making sure your coiled glue lines are touching.  You may want to experiment with the thickness for some different effects.  (I apologize for the odd picture here - it's hard to glue left-handed and take a picture right-handed!)  I tried to keep mine about the thickness of the stream that comes out of the tip.  Colored glue tends to be stiffer than clear, but you should still have plenty of time before it hardens up.

Once your circle is made, quickly ink up your stamp and press it into the hot glue.  Leave the stamp in place for a minute while the glue cools, then you can pull the stamp out of the glue and peel the glue off of the non-stick surface.

You now have two options with your stamped piece: leave it in a circle, as I chose for my card, or trim it down around the image.  A nice thing about using glue is that it trims super easily with a pair of fine-tip scissors.  At left is an example of a trimmed image.  This would look cute at the center of a ribbon bow, or perhaps three in a row on a card front, mounted on circles or squares.  When left whole, these embellishments give the appearance of wax seals, with a lot less fuss.

Now, on to my end product!  I created a card and used my embellishment as an accent piece in my design.


Using a card sketch and some papers from my stash, I got to work!  The cute girl stamp image is Cheeky Howdy from The Greeting Farm and the cherries stamp image is from the Kitchen Classic stamp set from Crafty Secrets.  Cheeky Howdy's outfit is paper pieced (see last week's Tutorial Tuesday!), and the scalloped mat/frame is from the Elegant Edges Cricut cartridge.  I adhered the stamped glue embellishment to my rosette using Glossy Accents to ensure it stays put.  As a finishing touch, I added stickles to the cherries in my girl's hair and the circle cut-outs in the frame.

Items available at Cutters Creek:

9 comments:

  1. Hey! That is a really neat idea!!! Where can you buy the colored glue sticks?
    Michelle
    PS Really cute card as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Your card is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip! Cute card by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I love what you did with the glue and the stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that's really different! Thanks for giving me more ideas ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [20 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fabulous idea, thank you so much for sharing it.
    Hugs
    SandiS

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great! I would have never thought to use glue for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card and suggest a brilliant idea .Thank you so mush.

    water bottle custom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails