Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Father's Day Card by Laura B.



This card is definitely Tim Holtz inspired! I love his products and stamps. This card was inspired by a challenge to use masks by my friend Mel LaFavers for an Everyday Card Challenge. I have had my masks for a while now, but I haven't ventured out to use them.

For this project, I started with a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of kraft cardstock. I placed my masks randomly on my paper. I put my project inside a large paper bag before spraying them with my Tattered Angels spray in Creme de Chocolat. The paper bag was great to catch the over spray, and I had no real mess when I was done.


If you don't have masks, you can make your own using your Cricut cutting machine and cartridges. Use your imagination. Butterflies, flowers, or any image can be cut to be a mask. Attach them using repositionable adhesive. You can save them on spare acetate sheets to re-use. The sky is the limit!

Next I used my various stamps and Memento Black ink to stamp random images on my card. Next I used sentiment stamp with Versamark ink and black embossing powder. I heat set it with my heat tool to allow the wording to stand out on my card. For my sentiment, I used my Inkadinkado Happy Days stamp sent to stamp "Happy Father's Day" on the card using Versamark ink and black embossing powder. Again, I heat set it with my heat tool.

I distressed the edges of my cardstock and mounted the card face black cardstock using my ScorTape. I added ribbon and a buckle for additional interest. I used ScorTape and a 3/8" Glue Dot to secure the ribbon and buckle. I mounted the finished piece on my card using Glue Dots Pop Up dots for dimension and shadow.

I love how this card turned out. It is rare that I make masculine cards, but I always seem to need them. I love how this technique turned out so rustic. I can see so many other uses for it as well. What a great option for some shabby chic feminine cards. I would love to see what you come up with using these techniques.

Products available at Cutters Creek:

Inkadinkado Stamps - Happy Days
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Creme de Chocolat
Memento Ink - Tuxedo Black
Heat Tool
Super Fine Embossing Powder - Black
Versamark Ink Pad
Scor Tape
Glue Dots

Optional ideas using Cricut and Cricut Cartridges

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the paper bag idea! I need to remember that when I finally get going with the glimmer mist/etc. - I've been avoiding it because it is so messy - but you've now given me a great way to go ahead and try it! Huzzah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a stunning card. I love it!! Awesome Guy Card!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails